Applications are now been submitted for the Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students 2018, eligible persons are by this notice charged to hurry and apply for this program as soon as possible. The basic tenure of the scholarship is two years, subject always, and at all times, to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.
The Rhodes Scholarships are postgraduate awards supporting exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. The Rhodes is the oldest and perhaps the most prestigious international scholarship programme in the world.
ABOUT THE SPONSOR:
The Rhodes Scholarship, named after the Anglo-South African mining magnate and politician Cecil John Rhodes,Established in 1902, which aims to nurture public-spirited leaders for the world’s future. It is an international postgraduate award for students to study at the University of Oxford.
The Rhodes Scholarship is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom. Scholarships are awarded in 20 Rhodes constituencies(64 different countries) round the World.
Selection Committees for the Scholarships are looking for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future. The Selection Committees are looking for the following:
• academic excellence (e.g. First Class Honours or GPA of minimum 3.7 out of 4.0, or equivalent). Further details on the academic requirements can be found under ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below
• energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
• truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
• moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human being
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RHODES SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS |The Rhodes Scholarships for Global
Until now, the Rhodes Scholarships have been awarded in 20 constituencies (representing over 60 different countries). This year, over 100 Rhodes Scholarships will be on offer and two new Global Scholarships allow eligible candidates from the rest of the world to be nominated by their University.
General information on the preparation of Global Rhodes Scholarship applications as well as frequently asked questions, can be found here keep reading.
LEVEL/ FIELD OF STUDY:
The scholarship is available for full-time postgraduate degree (including the BA with senior status over two years) at the University of Oxford to any course of choice of study.
All scholarships are taken in Oxford University in UK.
Rhodes Scholarship is open to Students from Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, New Zealand, Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland), United Arab Emirates, United States, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers all University and College fees, a personal stipend and one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the Scholarship, as well as an economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the Scholarship.
The Rhodes Global Scholarships Eligibility:
The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarships:
• Citizenship & residency: Each applicant must fulfil the citizenship and residency requirements of the Rhodes constituency for which they are applying. Please check the detailed information carefully via the country links.
• Age: Age limits vary between constituencies and range from a minimum age limit of 18 to a maximum of 28 by 1 October of the year following selection. In most constituencies, the age limit is 24 or 25. Please check carefully the specific age requirements for your constituency before applying. Successful candidates will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process. The Scholarship may not normally be deferred.
• Education: All applicants must have achieved academic standing sufficiently advanced to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree by the October following election. Academic standing must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to the University of Oxford, which has very competitive entry requirements, and to give confidence that Rhodes Scholars will perform to a high academic standard in Oxford. Individual constituencies may specify a 1st or equivalent. Some constituencies require an undergraduate degree to have been taken within the constituency of application.
RHODES SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Application Procedure:
- All candidates for the Scholarship should read the information about the Scholarships applicable globally, and then proceed to their country-specific page to read the application criteria, eligibility requirements, and deadline specific to their country.
- It is important to read the how to apply page and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
- All application are to be sent via email of the host University.
The Rhodes Global Scholarships Application Deadline:
Applications for Rhodes Scholarships open during the spring and summer of the year before entry to Oxford, for example Summer 2018 applications would be for entry to Oxford in 2019 (see Timeline, below).
TIMELINE FOR THE AWARDING OF THE GLOBAL SCHOLARSHIPS
15 May 2018 Nominations open (Universities)
30 June 2018 Nominations deadline (Universities)
31 August 2018 Application deadline (applicants)
October 2018 Shortlisting and preliminary interviews
November 2018 Final selection interviews at Rhodes House, Oxford
Early January 2019 Deadline for applications to Oxford University
Late September 2019 Arrival in Oxford to commence studies
Rhodes Scholarships Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the characteristics of an ideal Rhodes Global Scholar nominee? What type of person are you looking for?
We are looking for young people who are outstanding in their chosen field, with the ambition and drive to be future leaders in society. The selection criteria for nominees are:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings
A Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed once a successful candidate has been offered a place at the University of Oxford. Please note that any student you nominate must have an outstanding academic record to reach the University of Oxford’s admission criteria.
The Rhodes Trust warmly welcomes applications from talented young people of diverse backgrounds. Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction.
What information needs to be provided in order to nominate an individual?
The nomination form can be found here. The form must be filled out once per candidate, including a nomination letter from the institution. There is also Guidance for Nominationavailable, which should be read ahead of completing the nomination form. After receiving the nominations, we will send the nominees an email with an invitation to apply and details on how to access the application portal.
Which universities are eligible to make a nomination?
In principle, any University may nominate a young person who fulfills the eligibility criteria. Please note that applicants must meet the entry requirements for their chosen course of graduate study at the University of Oxford, i.e. they must be academically excellent.
Over the longer term we hope to expand our outreach to increase the number of Rhodes Global Scholarships.